Day 1. Wellington – Picton (Ferry) ; Picton – Blenheim 27.9 km / 1h26’ (Tu 4th Feb 20)








Day 1. Wellington – Picton (Ferry); Picton – Blenheim 27.9 km / 1h26(Tu 4th Feb 20)


When crossing the Cook Strait and before landing and putting my feet on the south island for the very first time, I could imagine and had the feeling of having in front of me the entire island to discover alone, with my bicycle and at my own pace, in advance.

I also was wondering what I was doing there with the uncertainty of not knowing what I could encounter on my ride.

On the ferry, I traveled accompanied by Ben, another cycle tourist from Toulouse, France. He convinced me of having a go at www.warmshowers.org and become a member because it was really working for him. I will go through it into more detail in my future posts throughout this blog, when I had the great opportunity to stay overnight at some WS houses.





That first night in Te Wai Pounamu (South Island in the Maori language) I slept at Glennis & Russ's, auntie & uncle respectively of my friend Lisa back in Blenheim, by the end of my first cycling stage of day 1 from Picton to Blenheim. I'm extremely grateful to them for spending three nights at their house and caravan, getting to know the three of us, sharing good moments and having the opportunity to give me a lift to Kaikoura and Christchurch, where the actual starting point of my ride along the island took place theoretically, as I will explain on day 23 how I ended up back again at Christchurch from Nelson in one day. 



Mientras cruzaba el Estrecho de Cook y antes de poner mis pies en la isla sur por primera vez, podía imaginar y sentir por adelantado que tenía en frente de mí la isla entera a descubrir sólo, con mi bicicleta y a mi propio ritmo.

También me preguntaba qué estaba haciendo allí con la incertidumbre de no saber que me podría encontrar durante mi recorrido.

En el ferry, viajé con Ben, otro cicloturista de Toulouse, Francia. Me convenció a que probara a convertirme en miembro de www.warmshowers.org, porque realmente le funcionó. Ahondaré más en detalle en mis futuros posts a lo largo de este blog cuando tuve la gran oportunidad de pasar algunas noches en algunas de las casas 'duchas calientes'.


La primera noche en Te Wai Pounamu (Isla Sur en Maori) dormí en casa de Glennis & Russ, tixs de mi amiga Lisa de vuelta a Blenheim, final de mi primera etapa ciclista correspondiente al día 1 desde Picton hasta Blenheim. Les estoy agradecido por invitarme a pasar 3 noches con.ellxs, conocernos, compartir buenos momentos, y darme la oportunidad de llevarme a Kaikoura y Christchurch, dónde teoricamente tuvo lugar mi segundo punto de salida del Tour, como ya explicaré en el post del día 23, cómo terminé en Christchurch de nuevo desde Nelson en un día.




Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

General Impressions